Employment Litigation Lawyers in Calgary, AB
Although we believe that litigation should always be a last resort, we will act swiftly and decisively when litigation is necessary to protect your company’s interests.
Our lawyers bring diverse backgrounds in criminal and civil advocacy combined with over 25 years of experience litigating workplace law issues at various levels of courts throughout B.C. and Alberta.
Let us put this experience to work for your company.
What is an employment litigation lawyer?
An employment litigation lawyer is a legal professional who specializes in representing clients in disputes related to employment law. This can include issues such as wrongful termination, discrimination, harassment, and wage and hour disputes. Employment litigation lawyers may represent employees or employers in these disputes, depending on the specific case.
What types of cases do employment litigation lawyers in Alberta handle?
Employment litigation lawyers in Alberta handle a wide range of cases related to employment law. Some common types of cases that employment litigation lawyers in Alberta may handle include:
What is the process for hiring an employment litigation lawyer in Alberta?
The process for hiring an employment litigation lawyer in Alberta will vary depending on the specific case and the lawyer you choose to work with. In general, however, the process will involve the following steps:
- Initial Consultation: During the initial consultation, the lawyer will meet with you to discuss your case and gather information about your situation. The lawyer will also explain the services they can provide and their fees.
- Investigation: Once you have chosen to hire the lawyer, they will begin investigating your case. This may involve interviewing witnesses, gathering evidence, and reviewing relevant documents.
- Filing a Claim: If the lawyer determines that you have a valid claim, they will file a claim on your behalf. This will typically involve drafting and filing a complaint or statement of claim with the appropriate court or tribunal.
- Representation: Once the claim is filed, the lawyer will represent you in court or before the tribunal. This may involve negotiating settlements, preparing for trial, and arguing your case.
How much does it cost to hire an employment litigation lawyer in Alberta?
The cost of hiring an employment litigation lawyer in Alberta will vary depending on the specific case, the lawyer you choose to work with, and the services they provide. Some employment litigation lawyers in Alberta charge an hourly rate, while others charge a flat rate or a percentage of the settlement or judgment.
It’s important to discuss the cost of representation with the lawyer before hiring them, so you understand what services you’ll be paying for and what fees will be incurred.
What are some important considerations when hiring an employment litigation lawyer in Alberta?
When hiring an employment litigation lawyer in Alberta, there are several important considerations to keep in mind. These include:
- Experience: It’s important to choose a lawyer who has experience handling cases similar to yours.
- Reputation: It’s also important to choose a lawyer with a good reputation for representing clients in employment disputes.
- Communication: A good lawyer will communicate with you clearly and regularly throughout the case.
- Results: The lawyer should provide you with realistic expectations of the outcome of your case.
- Cost: As mentioned, it’s important to understand the cost of representation and what services you’ll be paying for.
- Chemistry: It’s important to choose a lawyer that you feel comfortable working with and that you trust.
In summary, hiring an employment litigation lawyer in Alberta can be a complex process. However, by considering factors such as experience, reputation, communication, results, cost, and chemistry, you can ensure that you are working with a lawyer who is well-suited to handle your case and represent your interests. It’s important to keep in mind that hiring an employment litigation lawyer is an investment in your future, and it’s essential to choose a lawyer who you feel confident in and that you trust to help you navigate the legal process.
It is also important to keep in mind the laws and regulations regarding employment in Alberta. The Alberta Employment Standards Code lays out the minimum rights and standards for employees and employers in the province, and it covers topics such as minimum wage, overtime pay, vacation pay, and leaves of absence. It also lays out the process for making a complaint under the code and the penalties for non-compliance.
Employment litigation lawyers in Alberta will have a good understanding of the Employment Standards Code and other relevant laws, including the Canadian Human Rights Act, and will be able to advise you on how to navigate these laws and how they apply to your specific case. They will also be able to advise you on the strengths and weaknesses of your case, and help you understand the potential outcomes and settlement options.
In conclusion, hiring an employment litigation lawyer in Alberta is an important decision that can have a significant impact on the outcome of your case. It’s essential to choose a lawyer who is experienced, reputable, and has a track record of success in handling cases like yours. By considering the factors outlined above, you can increase your chances of finding a lawyer who will provide you with the representation and guidance you need to achieve the best possible outcome for your case.
Book A Consultation
At Taylor Janis LLP, we have the skills, knowledge, and expertise to handle all of your employment & labour law needs.
To arrange a one-on-one consultation and document review with one of our employment & labour lawyers, please contact us online or call us today at 403-474-0411 or toll-free at 1-844-521-1715.
In This Section
“I met with Wilson to discuss a complex work matter. I found him to be very knowledgeable and straight-forward with his advice. He took the time to answer all my questions and I left the consult with all the information I needed to make an informed decision.”
— J. M.
“Taylor Janis LLP was extremely professional to work with. Their lawyers were able to quickly resolve my claim to my satisfaction. I am completely satisfied with my outcome, and how quick it was resolved. Please do not hesitate to contact them with any questions regarding wrongful dismissals.”
— D. R.